?90's? African tribal chanting music used in car advert???

Discuss or ask about anything related to TV advert soundtracks.

Moderators: The Editor, Mr. Jazzman, shadow's lisa, Keith M., Rob, clubbedougan

sarahuk

?90's? African tribal chanting music used in car advert???

Post by sarahuk »

Hi this is a random one but i am trying to find out about a track used in an advert for some car (not sure what make) but the track is very african sounding, tribal, ethnic and quite uplifting.

This is awful but the vocals sound like they are saying 'mani mani mooni ma ne ma, mani moo na ney' - sorry about that but i am desperate to find out who sings it. My boyfriend says he used to dance around to it in PE lessons if that helps

thanks

Jayemm

Post by Jayemm »

No idea really, but the 'lyrics' you mentioned put me in mind a bit of ELO's album track 'Jungle' which was a bit tribal sounding and had some chanting (in the chorus). If your BF is the same age as me, then he might well have danced round in PE to this!!!1

First verse and chorus (the bit I'm thinking of) are:

I was standing in the jungle
I was feeling alright
mmhmm, mmhmm-
I was wandering in the darkness
In the middle of the night
mmhmm, mmhmm-
The moon began to shine
I saw a clearing ahead
mmhmm, mmhmm-
But what's that going on
I think I'm outta my head
mmhmm, mmhmm-

CHORUS:
Chooka chooka hoo la ley
Looka looka koo la ley

Son of Pam

Post by Son of Pam »

I'd guess Adiemus - Rain Dance. It's kind of uplifting and ethnic/tribal. I've been trying to fit the "lyrics" you provided, I'm not totally sure, but;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zOWGX4-wv8

**EDIT** If that turns out to be right I expect uploaded video of your boyfriend prancing about to it. :wink:

Son of Pam

Post by Son of Pam »

Scratch that, I now think it's Adiemus/Karl Jenkins - Cantilena (The Journey). Rain Dance wasn't the one I was thinking of. This is the one. It was on an advert for something, but I don't think it was a car, but it is ethnic, tribal, African-sounding and uplifting(ish). There's a soundclip here but it cuts off before the African business kicks in;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karl-Jenkins-Ad ... _rhf_p_t_1

Tell your boyfriend that if he forgets his kit it's vest and pants, OK? :shock: